The Scottish Parliament Information Centre (SPICe) has published a research briefing on the regulation and governance of medical devices in Scotland. In recent years, there has been considerable public concern over the safety of some medical devices and an increase in the number of medical devices subject to recall. This briefing looks at the regulation and governance of medical devices in Scotland. It also looks towards the future of medical device regulation in light of the UK’s anticipated departure from the EU regulatory framework following Brexit.
The content covers:
- what are medical devices?
- how are medical devices regulated?
- high profile medical device incidents
- innovation and governance in the medical devices sector
- future challenges for the regulation and governance of medical devices.