World Environment Day, 5 June 2019
04 June 2019
The theme for World Environment Day 2019 is ‘Take the Mask Challenge’ #BeatAirPollution. The main types of air pollution are identified as well as ways to mitigate sources of pollution:
- Agricultural activities producing methane and ammonia, and the burning of waste.
- Household burning of fossil fuels, wood and biomass-based fuels.
- Industrial pollution, primarily from energy production through coal-burning power plants and diesel generators.
- Transport producing carbon dioxide emissions, particularly from diesel emissions.
- Waste from burning and organic waste in landfills release substances such as harmful dioxins, furans, methane and black carbon.
- Natural processes such as volcanic eruptions, sand and dust storms that may carry pathogens and harmful substances.