HIV diagnoses in Scotland: quarterly report to 30 June 2019

24 September 2019

Article: 53/3801

On 24 September 2019, Health Protection Scotland (HPS) published the latest HIV surveillance report, which provides updated diagnoses data to 30 June 2019.

Between January and June 2019, HIV antibody positive test results for 184 individuals were received from NHSScotland laboratories, which includes 96 first ever HIV diagnoses and 88 diagnoses which were known to have been recorded previously out-with Scotland. It is estimated that there are 5,484 individuals living with HIV in Scotland, of whom almost three quarters (73%, 4,024) are male and the remaining 27% (1,460) are female.

The next surveillance report, providing diagnoses data to 30 September 2019, will be published in November along with a commentary to coincide with World AIDS Day on 1 December 2019.