HIV diagnoses in Scotland: quarterly report to 30 September 2019

26 November 2019

Article: 53/4702

On 26 November 2019, Health Protection Scotland (HPS) published the latest HIV surveillance report, which provides updated diagnoses data to 30 September 2019.

Between January and September 2019, HIV antibody positive test results for 267 individuals were received from NHS Scotland laboratories, of which 136 were first-ever diagnoses and 131 which were newly reported in Scotland, though previously diagnosed elsewhere. As of 30 September 2019, it is estimated that there are 5,568 individuals living with HIV in Scotland, of whom almost three quarters (73%, 4,080) are male and the remaining 27% (1,488) are female.

The next surveillance report, providing annual diagnoses data to 31 December 2019, will be published in March 2020.