Food poisoning reported at KFC outlet in Ulaanbataar, Mongolia

26 February 2019

Article: 53/809

More than 200 people are reported to have suffered food poisoning after eating at a Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) restaurant in Ulaanbaatar. In early February 2019, 16 people developed diarrhoea, vomiting and high fever. The Metropolitan Professional Inspection Department say 247 similar cases have also been reported, with 42 people being hospitalised.

Bacterial sampling found Klebsiella and E. coli at the Ulaanbaatar KFC, and a further four people have contracted a Shigella infection following contact with restaurant staff.

Further information and advice on travel to Mongolia is available to view on the Travax (for health professionals) and fitfortravel (for the general public) websites.