This is Version 3.2. If you do not see this version when you open the document, please refresh your browser as you may be seeing a previously cached version.
This FAQ answers the following questions:
- Contents What is SARS-CoV-2?
- What tests are available for SARS-CoV-2?
- Where are tests performed?
- What is PCR?
- What is a Ct value?
- How do you know that the RT-PCR test for SARS-CoV-2 is accurate?
- What quality control processes are in place for PCR?
- How many PCR tests for SARS-CoV-2 can be performed in Scotland?
- What do sensitivity and specificity values of a test describe?
- What is the sensitivity/specificity of the Scottish PCR test?
- If a test isn’t 100% sensitive/specific, does this mean we cannot rely on the results it provides?
- What is the difference between PCR testing and antigen testing?
- How reliable are tests performed outside of NHS services?
- Where can I learn more about SARS-COV-2?