This is the fifth annual report on the surveillance of Healthcare Associated Infections (HAI) in Scotland covering the period January to December 2013.
It provides a stocktake of the epidemiology of HAI in Scotland to supplement the routine quarterly reports of the mandatory surveillance programmes for Staphylococcus aureus, Clostridium difficile and surgical site infection, which are run by HPS.
The aim of this report is to:
- identify key information on HAI in Scotland
- demonstrate the burden of infection
- identify the trends in infection incidence
- share supplementary epidemiological and microbiological data from the national reference laboratories
- identify future priorities