In week 8, the overall assessment remains yellow (normal seasonal activity).
- There has been a decrease in the GP consultation rates for ILI which remains above the baseline threshold and indicates normal seasonal activity.
- The colour indicator for influenza in closed settings remains yellow (normal season activity). There is continuing reductions in virological detections of influenza in secondary care.
- In week 8, no statistically significant all-cause mortality excess was observed. It is difficult to assess the contribution of influenza to the very high* statistically significant excess in all-cause mortality reported in weeks 52, 1 and 2, but ICU mortality due to laboratory confirmed influenza remains below expected seasonal range.
- Vaccine uptake rates increased in week 7. It’s not too late to be vaccinated - vaccination of those eligible for seasonal influenza remains the most important preventative measure to reduce influenza.
- An increase in community circulation of influenza prompted the issue of a CMO letter in week 50 and the advice that GPs may prescribe antivirals remains in force.