This literature review aims to review the evidence for using chlorine dioxide for decontamination of the healthcare environment and reusable non-invasive patient care equipment.
- To provide a generic description of chlorine dioxide, including the proposed or actual mechanism of action and the procedure for use.
- To assess the scientific evidence for effectiveness of chlorine dioxide.
- To explore practical and safety considerations related to the use of chlorine dioxide.
- To explore the costs associated with chlorine dioxide.
- To produce a evidence sheet for chlorine dioxide to assist the Environmental Decontamination Steering Group in making practical recommendations on the use of chlorine dioxide for NHSScotland.